Tuesday, December 4, 2012

SALMON WITH CARAMALIZED LEEK

Fish is not a popular meal in my family.  It is really good for you so I force everyone to have it once every couple of weeks.  The only fish they are even willing to eat is Salmon but they are now sick of the same old recipes.  I saw this one on my friend's blog: http://www.arnavutcigeri.blogspot.ca/

I made some minor changes because I had more fish than her instructions.  It was delicious!!! I would highly recommend it.  We truly enjoyed it.  This recipe is a keeper for sure.   I am publishing with my changes.


To Caramelize the Leek:
3 large Leeks (a bunch)
3 tablespoons of cooking oil
1.5 tablespoons butter
1 or 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 big piece of Salmon (I cut it into 8 serving pieces
Salt, black pepper and red pepper on the salmon (don't omit the paprika.  It gives it a nice red colour)
  • Wash and clean the leek.  Remove outside skins.  Cut them lengthwise (approx 5-6 cm length). 
  • Put water in a large container.  Add a teaspoon salt and a teaspoon white vinegar.
  • Add Leek and more water into the container to cover the Leek. 
  • Vinegar will get rid of the bacteria and salt will remove dirt
  • Set aside for 15 minutes
  • When ready, rise with cold water and drain
  • In a large pan add oil and butter.  Add Leak and cook in medium heat until soft
  • Add salt and brown sugar and cook until some of the Leek turns brown.  Cover and set aside
  • Sprinkle Salmon with salt, black pepper and paprika. 
  • Preheat oven to 400 and cook Salmon for 40 to 45 minutes (or to your liking)
  • Add a couple of tablespoons of the Leek on each piece of Salmon and leave in the oven for 5 minutes until the Leek heats up.  I skipped this step and heated the Leek and put on the fish as I served as some people like it on the side.

1 comment: